Saskatchewan Hunts - Forum  

Go Back   Saskatchewan Hunts - Forum > Saskatchewanhunts.ca General > General Discussion

Old 07-13-2012, 08:25 PM

Default Elk Hunting Zone 33

Just curious about Elk in zone 33? My father and I both were drawn but he will be just finishing up his cancer treatment. Anyone have any suggestions on what side of moose mountain park to hunt and would he have to hike a long ways to get into the action. Is the terrain rough or are their field hunting opportunities any help would be appreciated.

Mark
Old 07-14-2012, 04:24 PM

Default Provincial Park Hunting

Are you allowed to hunt in Moose Mountain Provincial Park? According to the regulations it says you can hunt in Provincial PArks after Sept 10, 2012. I just read a blogg where the guy had to call a bull Elk out of the park to shoot it in 2011...

Mark
Old 07-15-2012, 08:34 AM

Not familiar with that area in terms of hunting. Your best bet is call the field office there and talk to the CO's - I think the number is (306) 577-2600. Dont hesitate to ask them about where to go, how to hunt it, alot of times they will give you some good info in addition to clarifying the regs.

Good luck!

http://biggameillustrated.com/index.php/bgi-blog

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Big-G...4071852?ref=hl
Old 07-15-2012, 12:03 PM

I use to hunt WT in the area west of the park north of arcola. Seen lots of elk in the fields on the base of the hills and lots in the hills too. It can be tough terrain once your in the hills for sure, there are some roads and trails but most trails go everwhere and lead you nowhere. Lots of posted land but permission was easy to get back then too, not sure about now. Also there is some IR land in the area also

GOOD LUCK
A firearm is only an instrument. It contains no evil, no conscience, and no ability. It is strictly the intent, competence, and character of its user that decide the outcome of any and all actions taken with it.
Old 07-15-2012, 01:15 PM

Thanks Possum and Crew999, at least it gives me a starting point to start my scouting and google earth is an amazing tool too...lol...
Old 07-16-2012, 06:53 AM

You can hunt in the park. The last couple of years you will find it very wet and that can make it very tough to hunt. Most elk are taken outside of the Park. The South side has the best population but you will find them on all sides. Lots of posted land but a lot of it is to control unregulated hunting. You should take a couple of days before the season and look around and get permission. There is a fair bit of first nations land so you have to watch for that.
Old 08-05-2012, 12:06 PM

Smile 2nd season 33A ELK

Has anyone been drawn for the second season in 33 before? I have no idea what to expect it starts mid Nov to Dec then Mid Jan to Feb.... I got some good advice where to start looking but I didnt realize I was second season. I have no rut to help draw them in, suggestions would be appreciated!!!
Old 08-05-2012, 11:24 PM

If you have the second season you want to hope for a lot of snow to keep them out of the park and in the farmland. Last year there wasn't much snow so they more or less stayed in the park or in heavy cover. They get real smart after being chased starting the 1st weekend of September. The guys I talked to that had that season last year siad they were mostly moving during the dark or crossed the highway to zone 34. Also it is very wet again down that way this year and getting around some places could be tough.
Old 08-06-2012, 08:18 AM

Thx guess ill be praying for snow...lol... maybe trying to find their bedding locations. lots to think about..